About The Foundation
The Grant-Kohrs Ranch Foundation (GKRF) provides resources to help the Grant-Kohrs Ranch National Historic Site tell the cattle-ranching story of the American West.
The GKRF is the official fundraising partner of Grant-Kohrs Ranch, and is a nonprofit, 501(c)3 organization.
About The Ranch
The Grant-Kohrs Ranch National Historic Site commemorates the frontier cattle era and the Western cattle industry. It was here that Canadian fur trader Johnny Grant established a trading post in the Deer Lodge Valley that had long been used by many tribes as a route to hunting and trading areas. Grant grazed cattle in the valley during the open range period of the 1850-60’s, then sold the ranch to German emigrant Conrad Kohrs. Kohrs became one of the major cattle barons in the emerging livestock industry, and the ranch remained within one family through the creation of the National Historic Site in 1972. The park embraces some 1,500 acres and 90 structures, and is maintained today as a working ranch. Grant-Kohrs Ranch National Historic Site is the only unit of the National Park System specifically designated to commemorate the frontier cattle era, and its role in the larger and more complex history of the United States from the mid-19th to early 20th centuries.